What is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is a non-invasive medical treatment that can enhance the natural healing processes of the body by inhaling pure 100 percent oxygen in a total body chamber, usually in the form of a pressurized room or tube. In this body chamber, the atmospheric pressure is controlled and increased, usually to three times the normal air pressure, in order to allow your lungs to gather more pure oxygen than they normally would at a normal air pressure.
What does Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Treat?
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is used in a wide variety of treatments, usually in conjunction with an overall medical care plan to make it more effective. Some examples of the conditions that can be treated with Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy include but are not limited to:
- Serious infections
- Wounds that are not able to heal fully because of diabetes or radiation injury
- Bubbles of air in blood vessels
- Decompression sickness (a hazard that comes with doing scuba diving)
- Bone Infections (Osteomyelitis)
How does Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Work?
In normal circumstances, your body will have oxygen getting transported throughout the body via the red blood cells. With Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, you are inhaling 100 percent oxygen which your blood will carry throughout your body. But this oxygen will also get dissolved into:
- All of the body fluids
- The lymph
- The plasma
- The bones
- The central nervous system
All of this extra oxygen will be able to reach areas where circulation is diminished or blocked, as well as any damaged tissue in the body. When the oxygen reaches these areas, it will enhance the body’s natural healing process by strengthening the white blood cell’s ability to help fight and kill bacteria, reduce any swelling and allow new blood vessels to grow quickly. The extra oxygen also induces the release of growth factors and stem cells which can help promote healing.
It is a simple, non-invasive treatment.
When going through Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, we want to make sure that our clients are provided with the highest level of safety and comfort. For this reason, we installed mono place chambers in our center, provided by Perry Baromedical, a world leader in the manufacturing, installation and servicing of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy systems since 1956.
Some features of our chambers are:
- Quiet and privatized treatment in individual mono-place acrylic chambers.
- Custom made mattresses, pillows and linens, all made with organic and non-off gassing products and materials (no VOCs).
- Highly trained and friendly hyperbaric chamber technicians are always on hand throughout the course of the treatment. The lead technician is Perry Baromedical’s Chamber Service Technician for Canada.
- Certified for patients up to 500lbs.
- Two-way communication system between patient and technician at all times during the treatment.
- A spacious internal cylinder, made accessible for any patients who have claustrophobia.
- Installation of 24” flat screen TVs with both CD and DVD features.
- Extra-wide stretcher with patient safety handrails.